The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Guilin city

26/02/2005

The acrobatic show the evening before was very impressive, it lasted about 2h, and I would have paid more than 50 E for something like that, but it costed me only 10 E here. It was recommended by Sovel and her husband, indeed i am glad that i had the chance to see that. Everything from the costumes, the artists (many of them are talented young kids), the show in general, it was so well made!! Unfortunately, they did not allow to take any pictures during the show :-(, understandable..; After the show, the artists with their costumes standing at the entrance, and the audience tried to take or have pictures with them. One of which a very pretty girl in her beautiful costume, she was an ballet artist, and during the show didn't do much like others, but she is pretty and have a gorgeous costumes, so many people ended up shooting pictures of her/with her among whom there was a Vnese tourist :-)

David's friend, Robert took me to visit around Guilin. He asked me whether I am from the South or North of VN (typical question!!), and said all the girls from Ho Chi Minh are very pretty ;-), apparently the girls from the North look a bit like Chinese girls, and in the South of VN, RObert said the figure of the girls are softer, especially the cheeks (??). We went to the Elephant Hill, and he was asking me what did I think about the VN-China War in 1998 ;-). I told him that I wouldn't like to discuss about that, plus both governments have established a friendship pass since then..etc. I do not want to comment which one was right or the island that we were fighting for belongs to whom ;-), and many VNese or Chinese were died...Robert is going to move to Australia this year, apparently many Chinese go there. It is not difficult if you have money or if you invest into a business in Australia, you can easily obtain a permanent address there. In Robert's case, he has a brother over there, so the brother is taking care for his moving.

The Elephant Hill does look like an Elephant that is drinking water, nice. After we went to the art university of Guilin, acc to Robert, this university receives a lot of VNese students who come here to study either art or Chinese. He explained briefly the proceed of examination, of how to become a servant of the King in the old time, how the result will be posted on the golden board, how the examination process is...Nowaways, it is so easy when we talk about going to school, examination and all. In the old times, exams take at least a week, and over night...We are lucky!!

I also went with Robert to the jade's museum, it's good to know how the value of jade is determined...soft or hard, white or green, or a mix of green/purple, which region? Tibet/Taiwan or Birmanie?? I bought three small pieces of old jades that costed me around 600E or so for my
grandma, mom and aunty... When I took a piece of jade to look under the light, on a black fabric as if it is good quality, it should be transparent, shining...Although it looked very beautiful, but I turned to Robert and said "I don't think it's transparent" :-), Robert said "well, Thao, it's transparent, but it doesn't mean that it should be like your glasses" LOL

After that, David joined us, and Robert left as he had some tourists that he had to pick up from the airport, I said good bye and asked him if he could buy the osmanthus tea for me (apparently it's very good tea). We went to have lunch me and David, he ordered the mapo tofu, the tofu was so fresh there in China, and milky as well, the mapo tofu was cooked with a lot of red chilly, it's so hot. Actually, "mapo" means an old woman/grandma, and David explained it doesn't mean that this recipe was cooked by an old woman but this is like a sort of tofu brand, every tofu with this label is very good one ;-). He ordered quite a few of them, and said they were all Sichuan specialities...God, food was very good, but so hot!! There came as well a food lessons...There are three main tastes in China cuisine: hot (Sichuan-they use different sort of chilly in their cuisine), Sweet and sour (Guangzhou), I can't remember the other one but he said that region use only the red chilly or something..hmmm. I had an amazing lunch, and was on David's treat ;-) (man should pay acc to David's girlfriend, Li).

We agreed to meet in the evening to have a beer somewhere as the next day I would be going to Yangshuo and would stay there.

On the way back to the hotel, I tried the Chinese bubble tea, I chose the cold one, it's abit black this tean, love it. It was quite funny when David and I were buying the tea, I asked David how much, and all the girls behind the counter were looking at us like "hey, you are both Chinese, why are you speaking English to each other" ;-). BTW, noodle in Guilin costs only 2 yuen, and they are amazingly good, I ate that every morning

In the evening, David came to the reception, and we went to pick his girlfriend up, she was in the shop doing shopping ;-), everytime I saw her, she was shopping...We walked around the night market, Li was buying those little things that they hung on their mobile phones like bells, shoes that made from ox's bones, she gave me two: one shoe (kick away bad luck) and one bell (bring happiness) ;-). After that, we went to have a drink in the European type of bar...There was a Chinese band playing, and of course, if we wished you could have sung on the stage as well. I took a Chinese beer, David ordered a sort of Chinese distilled liquor that was made with Chinese herb, so strong!!, and Li ordered a kind of baileys drink, and snack was something like dried beef, DELICIOUS ;-).

I miss them

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home