The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Monday, February 12, 2007

Sexism

Since part of my job is to make sure that there are enough cooks for each event, most of them are males, and every day I came home with a puzzle in my head. A couple of weeks ago, there was a cook coming into my office, and said:

"Vous savez, vous etes tres belle, vous avez un corp super mais vous etes un peu mince. Alors, c'est vraiment difficile d'avoir bebe apres."

I still did not know how to deal with this, and was about to say that I have a lot to do, and of all things, I am not thinking about having baby yet! He already came up with a very "honest" advice.

"Il faut que vous marcher avec les jambes legerement ecarter pour faciliter l'acouchment dans le futur"

Oh man, that is something I completely not expected! To translate literally, he was telling me that I should walk with my legs a bit spread. To be honest, since I started working with them, I was well- prepared, but I really speechless when I heard this. He did not mean any bad, but it was just so inappropriate that it made it weird....

Or another guy came to the office to explain to me how women get fat because they use pills (apparently the pills increase one sort of sexual hormone...). So, you get the picture of how my days really go. But that is not only at work, on TV, too! Especially the Flemish channel VT4, I find it a abit sexism. Everytime, there is a break in between, there is some girl wearing either swimming suit or cowboys...etc making movement under water (okey, I know who are not sharing the same opinion with me here ;-) -apparently only we girls think so). Recently, the Axe, men's deodorant, has made a commercial super sexism by having a lot of girls running toward a guy using its product, and the tagline says "Spray more, get more", probably some macho guys produced it.

Anyway, fyi, I read an article in a science magazine that apparently women have more gray matter than men ;-), and when it comes to IQ, men do have greater number of intelligent people, but they also have a greater number of retarded people whilst women stay on average. That explains a lot of things ;-)))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home