The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Monday, July 04, 2005

Touching the void

Into reading Touching the Void, of course for someone who knows little about climbing like myself, the techniques that Joe described are far too advanced to understand, however the story is moving. I think it is one of the most extraordinary stories about friendship, companion, courage, wild, beauty, and danger of mountains. I couldn't let the book down, have not read such a book in a long time.

I loved it when Joe hestitated to climb because the weather was bad, Simon told him that they wouldn't know how risky and dangerous it was if they didn't try, and sitting at the camp to wait wouldn't help. I guess this is what I am trying to do with my life.

I admire people who break bounderies, who are brave enough to quit their jobs, sell their house, and all belongings to be on the road, living a free life, true happiness...no morgages, no mundanes, no 6.30am waking up hour, and 12pm sleeping time, no more "I've got meeting tomorrow", no economy worries, no Reality TV shows, no MTVs, no "will VN's political system change?"...Will we be considered selfish if we follow our dreams no matter what?

I also watched "The Motocycles' diaries" and "The Story of the weeping camel", beautiful pictures, fantastic stories...culture, people's lives, feeling, emotions... My heart couldn't help squeezing, it felt sad when tears come out from the camel's eye, and then burst into laughter hapiness when she finally agreed to breastfeed her baby. Of course, it was a small story around the life/culture of the Mongols, I envy them for their peaceful life. Are they poor? depend on our definition of being wealthy or rich. For me, not. Too much love to be poor! They have no TVs, no warm water, no heat, no electricity, and yet their tents are so beautiful...and the kids collected Coke cans, broken alarm clock (I supposed from tourists?)...to play with. One thing funny was when the mother had something to do, her kid was tied to a pole in the corner of house, next to grandmother who was busy preparing food...

They reminded me of when my grandfather got out of political prison, he didn't want to have a TV (too much of propaganda he thought). There was a small TV in the culture center, and every evening I used to ask my grandfather's permission to be with other kids in the culture house to watch lousy VNese cartoon ;-0). Our TV program used to have Russian movies, so boring, and then my grandfather decided to invest into buying a TV, and a refridgerator. So we had a Sony TV but it didn't work so well, up to certain time, we put an iron on the top for it to run (still couldn't understand this trick ;-)), and the refrigerator, men, every time I opened it, I got slightly electricity shock ;-). However, I think the best time of my life was when I was young, I used to take all the blanket in the house, together with my sister we dressed up like princesses and started dancing like crazy around the house until my grandparents got mad ;-), and when the moon festival came, we waited for our laterns, usually both of us got big butterfly laterns. God, movies like these made me feel like I should disappear from the hectic, boring lifestyle we are having ;-)

Anyway, have been looking for jobs, this week, I will run to job agencies to spread out my CV, hopefully, there will be some positive responds. But I decide to not get so stressed about it otherwise it spoils my mood and contaminates the people who care for me ;-). I went to Couleur Cafe Sunday, was quite nice. It's funny how music affects our lives, Live 8 was on in the weekend, and of course there are many other concerts (with a purpose or not). Vnese guys in Leuven asked me to join them for the Wrechter Rock concert in Leuven, apparently they had a lot of fun, those spoiled kids ;-).

Today is American movies day, and there are many movies I want to see... maybe a movie marathon evening ;-)?

BTW, just got my "How to Rock Climb" book delivered, will check it out tonite, too ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home