The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Brand communication

FT Weekend had a headline on L'Oreal takes over the Body Shop. I remember three years ago, when I chose Anita Roddick, the founder of the Body Shop as my entrepreneur subject to present in school.

She is against animal testing on comestic products, and has done plenty of ethical campaigns. However, she has failed to protect her initial idea that is to demonstrate that there are ways to make beauty products without having to test on poor animals. The Body Shop like many franchising brand has lost in core business, they have become like any other companies which profit is driven. The Board of Directors do not care whether today they have saved how many animals in the lab but how much sales they make for them to earn more. That is probably why Anita and her husband stepped down from the board and becomes non-executive of directors after last attempt to sell the Body Shop failed in 2002.

That is to say how difficult it is to keep your passion along in doing business. Like Jamie Oliver, he has gone far from TV chef, his restaurant "15", to being the face of J Sainbury, his face on cooking ware, on cooking oils, on foods...etc. He is blurring the lines between advertising and entertainment, is this a good thing?

On a less serious note, I went to see "The New World", and if you haven't seen it, please save your money, stay away from it. So boring, what has gone wrong with Colin Farrel?

New Chinese words of the day:

Lao gong: modern word for husband?? Baby?
Lao puo: Wife
Wo ai ni: I love you (this is not new, just new in the funny context that I learnt it)
Wo ye zi: me, too
Jin tian wang shang ni zuo shen me? What are you doing tonite?
ni sha ma? Are you stupid?
Jia na li? where is...?
er sin: disgusting
hao duo: enough, a lot...
Fei chang nan: very difficult
Fei chang jian dan: very easy
ni shi fo yao chu qu?: you wanna die?
qing ren: lover
fen zi: crazy

"Lao gong, jin tian ni hao ma?"
"Jin tian, wo ai ni" ;-)
"er sin"

2 Comments:

  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Chen said…

    U r learning Chinese language?
    great :)

    "lao gong" - casual woay to call the husband :) the same goes to "lao puo"

    where is -> jai na li

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Vagabonder said…

    I am just trying to pick up easy words, and phrases from my Chinese classmates ;-). My major was in South East Asia studies in university in VN, and that included Chinese, but I was only there haft a year then I came to Belgium,so I forgot everything ;-( but from time to time, I recognise plenty of words I have learnt, it helps a bit in making sentences...

    I like the old Chinese writing style a lot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home