The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Monday, March 21, 2005

Ladies market in Mongkok area

21/02/2005

Before the foot massage, I actually went to visit ladies market in Mongkok area...I took the subway, stop in Mongkok, then walked to the market. The ladies market was actual a night market that goes along several streets. They are streets, but I think at night, they close them, and start the market, so they are not accessible by any vehicles.

You find everything in this market, and not as expensive as it is in downtown Kowloon. Silk clothes, faked watches, shoes, bags, anything but of course you have to bargain ;-); Of course, there are also Chinese mushroom, fruits...nice. I didn't buy anything, just walked around, enjoyed the place, and went from one food stand to another to buy snacks, I especially like the fried curry fishballs, they are so yummy!!!!, also buying some green guavas, I love this fruit, probably because it belongs to my childhood, where my neighbourhood was still full with guave, mango trees, so at noon, me and my sister sneaked out of the house at noon, joined the other kids, and we used to climb on these tree, and picked the fruits even though they are still green to eat :-). of course after that we were punished by our grandfather but we didn't learn from mistakes at all!!! Just kept on doing that...

22/02/2005

I am taking the train to Guangzhou today. But I planned to visit the Kuan Yuen bird garden and the flower market before I left, so i woke up early, and took the subway to go there. But it was too early!!!! So, I just walked around the the flower market, then had breakfast, and I met a Chinese who lived in VN's China town before moving to HK. So, we chated a bit, also because I couldn't order food properly since the woman who owns the food stand didn't speak English :-); It's nice to speak your onw language in a foreign place

After cheking out, I was late, so took a cap to Hunghom train station to take the train to Guangzhou. Already at the station, less people speak English...passport checked. Guangzhou, here I come!!!

I was reached by a number of touts when I arrived at Guangzhou station, so I chose one of them. Her name is Li, and her English seems to be better than the rest. She proposed a hotel quite cheap (although it turned out to be quite far away from all the attractions that i wanted to visit).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home