The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Does fire bring nostalgia?


I deleted one post on this journal because I didn't like it much when I read it again, too much pain and sadness. Don't like seeing myself vulnerable...

Anyway, I had a great weekend! Went climbing with Manuel, Delzoe, and Ruben. We left around 9am from Brussels, heading to Durnal, near to Dinant, Belgium. We arrived around 10am, and started climbing haft an hour later. The rock in Durnal was quite new and easy to climb. With the perfect weather, the sun was shining, and from time to time the clouds came to give us shade...The wind, the sweat, lots of swearing, the view, the feeling when you managed to get to the top, everything was amazing. Just looking at them climbing, they were like lizards moving on the wall, as if climbing is easy and nothing ;-). It's nice to climb with advanced people ;-), they showed you how to work with your feet, and "C'mon Thao, you can do it", "Great, congrats, you did it", or "That fucking bitch was difficult, wasn't it?" ;-).

We left Durnal around 6pm on Saturday, and another 15 min of driving to come to Freyr where we spent the nite and continued to climb the day after.

We had dinner at Chamonix, a cafe where all climbers went to, very cool place, food was good, and the price was reasonable. After a few beers, Ruben started telling us his camping trauma story ;-) in Cuba.

Ruben: Camping like this is like we spend a nite out in 5 stars hotel, you guys don't know what it's like to camp in Cuba ;-). I had a trauma...

Me and the guys: yeah? You don't like camping?

Ruben: Like this yes, but when I was in Cuba, my ex-girlfriend and her family love camping, so I was invited to come along. After a 3h drive from Havana, we arrived at the place, cleaned it, and started setting up the tent. The temperature was around 40 degree, ok. After the tent was set up, a tropical storm came, and everything was blown away!!! And imagin that was around 11pm, when I just f*cking wanted to go to bed.

...LOL...

Ruben: Not finished yet. Her family also had an interesting habit of fishing at night, so around 3am, they shouted, and everybody had to get up, dressed, and went get the fish...

Me: Everybody? the women as well?

Ruben: Of course, there is no discrimination, don't worry, Thao ;-)

...LOL...

Ruben: The second year, her family saw that I was too demotivated, so her father gave me a gift, a separate tent to have some privacy, and guess what when I slept, haft of legs were outside the tent ;-). The third time, she asked to come along, I told her-listen, I love you but not that much ;-)

...LOL...

Man, Ruben had a funny way to tell his story. We left the Chamonix cafe around 10pm, I took a shower at the place where we slept, and when I came back, the guys already made a big bonfire, and we drank tea, talked about life, relationship...It was a strange feeling that I had, I felt like I could tell them everything, stories in the past...and they had that feeling, too. it was as if the fire brought us closer to each other.

Guys: So Thao, do you have a boyfriend?

Me: No, no love affair at the moment ;-)

Manuel: How come? for such a great girl like yourself?

Me: Yeah, tell me about it, I think I have been cursed hehehehe

Guys: LOL, seriously, no boyfriend, Belgian guys can't win your heart?

We kept on talking, about Kumato tomatoes, about sex, and about fart (yeah, disgusting, I know!!). They tried to light their fart once, btw. Apparently, it gave a fire ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home