The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Jingle bell, Jingle bell...

Today, when I was on the way home, I walked by the shops, and saw that many of them have already had their shop windows with Christmas decoration ;-). It has occured to me that shops seems to influence people into the mood of celebrating Xmas sooner and sooner every year.

My very first real/happy Xmas was the first year when I came to Belgium. I arrived on the 15 of November, and it was much colder than today. I remembered my uncle's ex-wife invited a lot of important people (acquaintances that both she and my uncle have had since they worked for the UN, and World Bank in Rwanda). My uncle ex-wife had the most beautiful Xmas decoration (and she was also a true catholic believer, so I guess Xmas was very special for her), and I remember how many gifts we put around the old fireplace.

The Xmas the year after that, we quietly celebrated, or even not because she and my uncle seperated. The year after that, we celebrated at Lea house, one of their friends, which was ok, but I missed what we had...Yeah, since that first Xmas, every Xmas was a crappy holiday for me, it was all sad, lonely and homesick (eventhough we do not celebrate Xmas in VN). Of course, we celebrated but my mind was somewhere else (does it make sense?). I guess my destiny is "ever have a happy Xmas again" ;-P. At first I was excited to shop for gifts, but more and more I find it boring and doesn't give any purposes (talking about shopping, heh, how serious that is to say that shopping is boring ;-)). I was hoping to have a special Xmas this year though...Hmm, reading what I am writing reminds me of Bridget Jones's Xmas hehehe

The other day when I was watching the "Little House on the Prairie", a very old TV serie that I loved and still love a lot (my dream family, I know it is very silly). When everybody was trying to find a gift that their family member would like to have (and they do not have a lot of money)...Most of time, they ended up making their own gifts. I couldn't help but wonder since that day on how many of us will actually be happy to receive to self-made gift, has no material value but a lot of love that has been put into it? Yeah, living in the world we are living today makes money become the neccessary in all means, and considerations.

How much worse can it get? How much love does one have?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home