The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

VN news

Most Vnese are focusing on the current Party Congress in Hanoi. I had ever paid attention on this event when I was in VN. But now living abroad, where discussions about the future of VN happen every time we get together, I have no choices but to follow this event from the other side of the earth ;-).

In two weeks, we will celebrate the victory of the VN war (30 April). The Congress happens every five years, and there is an elected committee of about 160 comrades who will then elect 15 party leaders. This year is even more special because of many corruption scandals that of course was not a shock to Vnese, but there are more and more young people in their 30s, or well-educated journalists criticized the party, and urged for change for a more economic and political liberal. Apparently they expected the old guys to resign and give places to younger candidates.

Japan and World Bank will send investigators to clear the corruption case (the money was used for betting and prostitutes), but my opinions will be that they will take that as a condition to negotiate and get more from VN. Of course, the government will have to agree, meanwhile VNese people will work their *ss off to pay these debt, who cares? We are too cheap, anyway. There is no real help because everybody has to get benefits, especially big corporations or foreign investment companies.

My friends can not understand why I am pessimistic about VN, but hey, if you are not Vnese, you will never understand what is like to be Vnese. I love my country, that is why I complain, if everybody thinks that it is ok, then my country will never be able to change. Like those young people who are criticizing right now, I am not on their side 100% because even though they see that the current system is not great, but they think foreign companies will be helpful for the change. I think it is bullshit, nobody gives a shit. They will help as long as they can still suck our blood, otherwise, we can f*ck off. I want changes that will make a different for the people first...

Anyway, a week ago, a friend of mine told me he read an article on BBC about a type of coffee that is from the dropping of civet (cat-like animal) that they found in the Philipines. When I was in VN, I heard about that all the time, it was like a tale about the best coffee. But then, I came here, nobody believed it was true, they thought it was another silly thing that came from my brain ;-) or from an exotic country which they often wonder how and what do we eat ;-).

Of course, I was excited and so I sent the article to everybody who thought it was not true ;-).
Click here

2 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Chen said…

    Yeah, outsiders cannot really understand what is happening in a country well except the citizens..

    Btw, this is the first time I heard about civet coffee. I clicked on the link, and after reading the article... mmm.. I don't think I want to drink that stuff, hahaha...

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Vagabonder said…

    Yeah, it drives me crazy ;-)

    Apparently that coffee is very expensive, I don't drink coffee anyway. If there is a strange way to process tea, maybe I will try hehehehe

     

Post a Comment

<< Home