The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Boy or girl? ;-)

The Vietnamese couple who are expecting a baby discovered yesterday that their baby would be a baby boy ;-). Of course, the young father is really happy, although he said that he did not mind whether baby is boy or girl but I could see that he wanted to have a boy first.

That's the thing about being pregnant, I guess, even though you know you can't decide on the sex of the baby, you still somehow expect the baby to be boy or girl. People say but most boys are wanted in VN, not anymore, my family so far has only girls, and nobody seems to bother like that. Even my youngest uncle, he even made joke about his wife and his daughters all the time. It is good that women are not expected to give birth to boys only otherwise their husbands will find another woman (yeah, men, they usually find excuses for their infidelity act) to have a boy to carry his name.

Talking about this, North VN is much more traditional, so some parents still expect daughter in law to give birth to boys. I find some traditions are haft good haft bad, they are good because they create a distinc of who we are from the other culture, but some of them are like rope used to tie us into deep unhappiness.

Modern Vnese parents are better, maybe because the education level has rose up, our generation is more open minded (in an acceptable extense I would prefer), give women more air to breath, and a certain equality although in VN, there are still many sad stories about them...I was reading a short story, a short diary of a Vnese woman, and I could not imagin how in this time we live, there are still so many people who suffer because of poverty, of family tragedy...Yeah, people say but VN will change. For me, it has not been changed, if not want to say it gets worse. People who are at the bottom of the society, still are at the bottom, from generation to generation...The more I read her story, I could feel that my country is going to have a revolution (like what is happening in Nepal??), where people are upset for being exploited, where the word humanity is not in the vocabulary that they are using. I don't dare to read some parts for it is too sad and hopeless because even the author, she accepted that there was no way out, that was her life, and it would continue, nothing could change. Yes, a life where you see other people die and you wish that it was your own death.

...Let's get back to what I talked about before...baby? ;-) Before, I used to wish to have a girl, but I think I want to have a boy ;-). Maybe because boys don't have to go through many heartaches like you do? Maybe it is just more interesting for me to raise a boy, I suppose ;-)...Anyway, but that in later chapters hehehehe. Meanwhile, I will just enjoy being godmother of someone else's boy ;-))

2 Comments:

  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Chen said…

    How about having twin? - one boy & one girl? ;)

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Vagabonder said…

    That would be so good ;-). And maybe the boy is out first,then the girl? ;-). I have always wanted to have an elder brother ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home