The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Stomach story ;-)

Well, the start of new year has been not so great since I had to go through a few appointments in hospital for my sick stomach. It was a bit sick just before Xmas, and got worse and worse after new year. Apparently, I got a virus in the stomach ;-). Don't ask. I have no idea how it got there. So, after the appointment with the anesthetist last week, I has a small medical intervention (they said it was an operation, so that scared the hell out of me since I have always been very skeptical when it comes to doctors, and medications) yesterday.

So, I arrived in an operation room, and started panicking when I saw plenty of people in white or green uniforms. They told me to lay down on a table, under a super big flash white light, putting a tube into my right arm, and three little patches on arms and chest to measure the heart beat. And then, a nurse spoke to me whilst putting an oxygen mask "this is an oxygen mask, and you will sleep shortly". The whole scenario reminded me of when I was about 10 or something, I had a cyclo accident (still have a big scar now on my knee), and was also taken to the ER block in children hospital in VN, so they could put the stitches on the wound. It was the same although the difference was that my grandmom had to give the doctor and nurses money before they did it, so they did not hurt me. Oh yeah, that how it works in hospitals in VN, so getting sick is really bad. Even when you wife gives birth, you will have to spread money from the moment you got to the door of the hospital to when your child actually was born. I also have heard from some friends from Hanoi that sometimes there are two women with two babies in one bed! I have considered myself lucky to be here because I know that many of my friends who have high education, who have big dreams to move mountains but they are trapped into a system that they can not do much. And now with the WTO, and globalization, the poor in VN will unfortunately suffer thoudsands time more.

Anyway, not a story to start the year. After the nurse spoke to me, I woke up in a small room, felt not much pain, and I could go home. My stomach is fine now (I really hope so, nobody wants to have a sick stomach) since I am extremely hungry for the first time after a few weeks ;-).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home