The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Monday, February 19, 2007

Chuc Mung nam moi


Nam moi chuc cac ban suc khoe doi dao, viec lam troi chay, tien vo nhu nuoc song Da, tien ra nho giot nhu cafe fin ;-).


Last weekend was the Tet and Chinese New Year. Although I have asked a couple of people for the reason why we celebrated the Lunar New Year one day before the Chinese (usually it is on the same date), nobody gave me a clear answer. Anyway, it is not a problem because I am Vnese, I celebrated the Tet according to our calendar, and according to the people back home. So, Friday was our New Year's Eve (for Chinese, it was Saturday), for some reasons, the temple celebrated according to the Chinese New Year, I thought it did not open on Friday. As the result, I went to the temple on Saturday nite instead. This year, I went earlier than last year (experiences because later there will be a lot of people, and it is unable to pray) to pray for health for my whole family, and to buy some sweets ;-) (yeah, the nuns here make super delicious vegetarians dishes). FYI, we can eat for free on the New Year day (meaning Sunday lunch after the pray), and that is how it is in VN, you can always go to a pagoda and eat as much as you can on many important dates of Buddhism.


I made some small dishes that my grandfather liked on Friday, and after dinner with my sister and uncle, we went to the friends of uncle for dinner again ;-), and it finished at 4 in the morning . Normally, in VN, on the new year's Eve, after giving foods, to the Buddhas, and saints, my whole family will go the pagodas like many other Vnese to get a small flower or a branch of a tree or something that is offered to Buddhas in order to bring it home. This is supposed to bring luck for the whole year...And then, we will receive the red envelops that contain lucky money ;-)


Anyway, like I said before, traditions have changed a lot ;-(. Now everything is for reasons and benefits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home