The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Friday, January 19, 2007

Just thoughts

When I recently talked with my uncle, I realised that it will be my 10th year in Nov, I will also be turning 30 in Oct, plus the graduation ceremony. So, this year deserves the biggest celebration :-). Turning 30? I forget that I am getting old :-).

I could not help to imagin in the period of my grandmother, and my mother, how they liked? I am sure that a 30 years old woman in grandmother's time had to work hard on the rice field, raising many kids while trying to keep the husband and his family happy, not to mention she had to deal with all the hassles of social pressures, not be able to go to school or a woman really had to know how to cook, how to keep herself beautiful, how to keep manners and language...etc. I used to think that my mom was rather lucky because my grandparents took her back home when my father turned out not to be a good husband. Many parents would not do that, for them, a girl who married belonged to another family. I guess one of the reasons is because Saigon has always been a bit more liberate than Hanoi. Even now the people from Hanoi are tied with traditions, women are still expected to follow a certain ethics. I usually have to behave a bit more when I goes to Hanoi to visit my aunt :-)

But I feel that I am so much luckier than mom when she was in my age. She had to raise two girls, working hard to make sure that my sister and I went to good school (although to be honest, that probably would not make a difference if you are willing to study) or that we had everything that the other kids had. We were even spoiled like getting new clothes, new shoes on new year or new scholar year while many others had to wear the old clothes; I remember everytime I passed an important exam, I either got a Seiko watch or a bicycle or when I passed the exams to enter state funded highschool, I got my own scooter :-). Now, I am able to do different studies, travelling, meeting new friends, falling in love, and still now worrying about my own family, raising kids. For many Vnese girls, I probably am not lucky :-) because the lucky ones should have got married by now, having at least two kids :-). However, many of my friends in VN are still busy with jobs, so I guess I am talking about the Vnese girls in Hanoi. Seems like they get married early there. Nothing wrong with the choice every makes, but those who got married and had children think that it's not good to be single at my age :-).

My mom sometimes suggests that it might be time that I consider having a family, maybe indeed I should. Just the thought already makes me stressed :-), no wonder how I got a stomach sick. Career, love, family, kids....

The clock keeps on ticking :-)... I am drowning in the sea of being an adult :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home