The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Saturday, September 03, 2005

La Nga- Da Lat- Mui Ne

I decided to drop by La Nga, Dong Nai province on the way to Central Highlands, Da Lat. The reason was very important, La Nga was the place where I was born.

Now that I am sitting here to write this post, I can still not describe what feeling it was. I was overwhelmed, a bit happy, a bit sad...People say when we are lost, it is always recommended to come back to the begining to look for answer, and probably this is what I am doing? According to my maternal grandmother, when the North Vnese army won the VN war, we moved to Dong Nai province (about 2-3h by minibus from Saigon) as my grandfather was put into prison. Apparently, they moved there because my father's family was originally from there. After a while, my grandmother bought land not so far from paternal grandparents. Although my mom had to live with her husband's family, and actually I was born in that house, I did not like to stay with them.

Every day, I stayed with grandma, and everybody had to go the corn or dry rice field to work, I begged my grandma to let me be with her instead of staying with my father's family. Of course, I do not remember all the details, but I still remember that I cried a lot when my father came to pick me up when my parents separated. In front of my grandma's house, there was a stream of water, now it does not exist anymore instead a highway, and the house is not anymore made from dry coconut leaves and wood, mud but with concrete and granite stones. Behind the house, the scenery stays somehow the same, under the summer sun with an insupportable heat, there were a couple of kids playing with buffaloes, they are as skinny as the buffaloes themselves. I could still see a lot of sugar canes, then a little red path that led to the field, and me, trying to chase other kids away from my grandmother's sugar canes ;-).

It was a great feeling, memory with lots of love. I was born there, and a man helped my mom to give birth, no doctor, no nurse, no painkiller, but hot water and all the basic stuffs. Talking about my mom who didn't have to do anything when my parents were still rich. I quietly thanked mom, grandma, uncles, and aunt who love me the moment I first cried.

I know I am the luckiest girl in this world.

The road to Dalat, Central Highlands (about 5h drive from Saigon) was the most beautiful road in VN, in my opinions. Dalat is considered the city of flowers of VN (in the past, it was considered to be the most romantic city in VN), and it definitely deserves the name. Covering by pine forest (although pines are still young), its geographical position has made it the most favourite getaway of VNese. The weather is cooler, quieter, and the air is fresher. What I also like about Dalat was also because of the tourism guides really take ecotourism into consideration. It is very much cleaner than Brussels or any other city of Belgium (for once I really can say that about one of cities in VN). In the past, there were only highlands people, but now many Vnese from the North or the Centre come to live there. Dalat is beautiful! In the center, there is Xuan Huong lake (the lake was given the name of one of famous female poet of VN in the past-who dared to challenge the old fashion regarding Vnese women). I also visited the old house in Mong Mo hill (Dreamy hill) made by wood, bamboo only (even every single clue-no steel or else), attended a live concert with traditional highlands instruments made from stones and bamboo. The Than Tho lake (complain lake) and Tinh Yeu valley (Valley of Love) are not as impressive as I imagined. but the Dantala fall was pretty amazing, with natural reserve trees and wild animals (the only place in VN where wild animals come to people instead of running away from us ;-))

The place where we stayed was a villa that my uncle's friend had arranged, French architecture, and has a great view. Foods are great, not much different from Saigon but more vegetables and fruits. There were a couple of places where they organised rock climbing or mountain biking tours (run by a American Vnese couple).

If I come back, I think Dalat will be the city I want to live.

Mui Ne beach (from Dalat about 3h, back to East of VN)

Of all beaches in VN, Mui Ne is nice to swim. Surrounded by coconut or palm trees, nice view, less waves and wind. There are of course many resorts opened, and plenty of Westerners stay around. I think it is much nicer than Nha Trang (not so far away). Food is cheap, and delicious. For instance, rice is cooked in earthen ware to eat with fish soup, fried seafood with local vegetables, and fresh young coconut drink MMMM...

As the wind is strong in the area, it blows and carries the sand from the coast to the mainland forming one hill that is becoming like a small desert with red sand. The kids love to go there to play.

I came back quite late yesterday, but still had time to celebrate VN independant day. It was quite some time now that I saw "Saigon by night" in national holiday. Every house has to put on a flag-red with yellow star, and guys usually wait to this sort of day to take their girlfriends out on their scooters, around the city, to see the fireworks around 10pm. Singles might be able to meet someone as A LOT of young people go out (same as Xmas). Traffic jams, people, the horns, taxis, Westerners were out, many shops offer discount and open late or many restaurants offer special menu and live music with well-known singers...It is just great! Of course, on this occasion, there are some "not so good-looking" Western guys together with their "not so good-looking" Vnese girlfriends walking on the street, they seemed to have fun. Thank God, some beautiful Vnese girls still have brains ;-).

Talking about that, I had a fight with a Taiwanese woman (to be honest, I do not like much Taiwanese-they come to VN, and behave as if they can do anything). She was shouting at a boy in a manner, which irritated me so much. So I said "Woman, who are you shouting at? he is just a boy", I don't think she speaks any English anyway, but I really wanted to kick her ass!!!

People works hard here to get bread, they deserve respect, and not that sort of attitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home