The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

100% Vietnamese ;-)

I think I have started to get used to the working schedule now, it was first creating a sleeping disorder to me, because of a mixture of eveving shift and morning shift...

I learnt many things every day, I am also lucky to do an internship here while Marriott is planning to re-design their restaurant and bar, meaning new concept, new menu, new design theme, decoration, new uniform (actually I like them, look much cooler and fashionable than the one they have right now). I had a training yesterday on the way to approaching guests, making upselling beverages, and food. There are many useful techniques to run restaurant, using Micro system, which connects the entire Marriott network, plus managing orders...etc. When I was in the meeting where Eric, F&B manager showed us the new design of the restaurant and bar, to be honest, I was impressed to see how much those people know...

Another good thing is that I speak French almost every day to colleagues and most meeting are conducted in French, that helps me to improve my French. Although Marriott has a heavy American culture, but a lot of people who work there do not speak any English, which is a shame actually because most of the guests are either from US, or UK. The hotel always have about 95%, sometimes 100% occupancy, and the first six months they make profits, guests' satisfaction is high. However, the restaurant does not work very well, they have about 128 seats, but only the breakfast buffet is full due to groups.

About guests, it is more fun to serve American or British, they are more relax, and most of time ready to have a conversation with you. Moreover, with American, you can always sell more when it comes to food, as soon as you mention the word "low fat", "Healthy", 'fresh", you surely can get them continue their meals. And when you wait tables, those are the ones who give big tip ;-), say 20 Eur or more per table.

The other day, when I was on duty of the breakfast hostess, there was one American guy, about 40 of age, by the look, I think he is someone "important" because most of the managers were walking around, waiting for him, and then suddenly, he walked towards me...

"Good morning, Sir"
"Which nationality are you?"
"Vietnamese"
"100%?"
"..er yes" (thinking what's else can my face tell you ;-))
"You are pretty tall for a Vietnamese. Parents are tall?"
"Well, most Vietnamese are short, but I think the younger generation is taller now, indeed my parents are tall"
"Any brothers and sisters?"
"Yes, one younger sister" (typical American conversation, I guess). "Have you been to VN?"
"Sure, I like very much Hanoi, old with many French architecture...and I was in Cu chi tunnel" (apparently he is very proud)
" Really? did you manage to get in that tunnel? You must be exhausted when you got out then?"
"Oh yeah...I like very much this market in Saigon, forget the name..."
"...Is it Ben Thanh?"
"YES"
I noticed that some people who are waiting for him, want to get him going or something...
" Are you here on business, Sir?"
"yes, am on here on business"
"Are you having a pleasant stay with us?"
"yeah, very nice"
"Well, enjoy your stay, Sir"
"Thank you, I will"

After that, Fred tells me that he was one of guys who belong to Marriott family, coming to check up the standard or something. But it was amusing because I was sorta using him to practice my way of approaching guests...You have to use the 15/5 rule in service industry, which is eye-contact when the guest is about 15 feet, and when he or she is at 5 feet away, you have to approach and greet them. Interesting, isn't it?

I also received a group of Asians' men coming for breakfast, most of them were Japanese, they don't speak English, but there was a woman who translated everything, running around, and being very polite to them. Of course, they are polite towards you, and are very nice guests, but they never smile even when you smile to them ;-).

Oh yeah, the other day, there were a group of Asians again, and I thought they were Japanese until they gave me their room numbers and I checked, most of the names looked Vietnamese like Tran, Nguyen...So, I asked if they were Vietnamese, and that confirmed, so I speak Vietnamese to them, they were really happy, a group of Vnese diplomats...That was fun ;-)

So far I learnt many new things even though it is really hard work, and I do have respect for people who work in the service industry, where everything is about satisfaction of the guests. Sometimes, you see an *sshole is front of you, what you do is to keep on smiling, and be polite ;-), and beleive me, we have not seen the worse in people until you actually are in this business.

Anyway, right now, this internship is eating my time, and keeping me busy than ever.

BTW, I was walking home last weekend on Ave Louise, saw a couple, and the girl was wearing a VERY short red skirt that her butt even sticked out. When they turned to the bank, and the guy was taking money out of the ATM, I smiled to her, she blinked her eyes and smiled back, so I thought "Hmm, she probably told me, I've got a fish tonight" ;-)). Actually, she looked cute...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home