The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

"I think short skirt is appropriate if we wear it with big BOATs"

23-06-2005: Figeholm-Oskarshamn

In Sweden we finally were ;-)! The sun was shining, blue sky, birds were singing, and from time to time, the wind blew briefly through the leaves of the trees created some sort of very calm and relaxing atmosphere.

I was still in bed, my eyes opened widely, looking at the ceiling, then through the window next to Sofia's bed. I thought of nothing, and everything for a moment. Then, I got up. Fox took the shower first, when I got out of the room, I saw Frederik (Sofia's brother), whom I met many times in Brussels, and her father. Then, we had breakfast: cheese, ham, the, kaffee, butter...We went for a long walk (about 3h) in Figeholm. We saw the harbour, the Baltic coast, the islands, the small forest, and then picked up wild flowers (they are so beautiful, and there are lots of flowers in Sweden) in the intention to make the flower crown for the mid-sommar feast. From time to time, we were also picking up wild strawberries, mmm sweet. Remind me when I was small in VN, for a moment, I felt like a little girl again.

About 2 pm or so, we had lunch, and we met Sofia's mom. Sofia's parents look good, very strong and healthy even though her father is already 69 years old, but he is so energetic. They are very nice, warm, friendly people. I almost felt like I was at home ;-). Of course, the fact Sofia left Sweden when she was 18, and for them the time was probably stopped, she is still their little daughter, and because we are her friends, we were also treated like princesses and prince ;-)).

One thing I noticed, Swedish men are very calm, quiet, and women are much more demanding. For instance, at Sofia's place, her father is doing dishes, everything in the house, and her mom sometimes (the impression I got was like giving order-and that not only in Sofia's house, her friends' too). I guess the equality in gender is very obvious in Sweden.

After lunch we went to Oskarshamn to see Veronica, Sofia's friends to give her our parts for the mid-sommar feast party. They booked 5 cabines (small houses outside Oskarshamn, near the coast), and there were 15 of us, so 5 in each. After Veronica, we visited the town a bit, walked around, shopping was surprisingly cheaper than in Brussels. Only when we got out of it, we realised how expensive Brussels is getting. I think the only expensive item in Sweden is alcohol, there is only one shop that can sell liquors in Oskarshamn for example.

BTW, you drive your car with the light on even during the day, and the speed limits to 30,70, 90, and max on high way is 110 (although most of them drive at 140 :-)). Your license can be taken away if you drive above 30 in area where they allow only 30.

We decided to join the group one evening ealier than planned, anyway, we paid the cabine for 3 nites. We brought our matinies, vodkas, redwines...with us. That evening we met a funny British from London named Frank, he lives in Oskarshamn for 10 years, and speaks Swedish like Swedes ;-). We drank red wine, and Veronica asked me if I wanted to try a catch, sort of cigarrette that you put under your upper lip, above the gum...I tried, the taste was quite dried, don't like it so much. I removed it before I got high ;-).

We talked about many things, mostly funny experiences and statistics.

Sofia: "apparently we fart 7 times per day"
Frank: "hmm, see Swedish they do nothing, but sitting and count their fart ;-)"
Frank: "do you celebrate mid-sommar in VN?"
me: "why? we have summer all the time" ;-)
Frank: "Are you engaged?"-pointed at my ring finger
me: "no, but I pretend to be"
Fox: "do you know where we can find home brew vodka?"
Frank: " yeah, I have a friend, remind me tomorrow, maybe we can get you some"

Olul (I think that was her name) just sat and laughed at our jokes, Veronica's boyfriend came, and they left.

Me: "where are the lovebirds?"
Frank: "I think they are doing boum boum"
Sofia: "Really?" ;-))
me: "here they are, how long was it?" ;-)))
Frank: "I guess quantity isn't important, quality is" ;-)

LOL

Sofia: "I remembered when I was in a supermarket looking for a washing powder named Le Chat, couldn't find it, so I went to ask the woman at the counter -Ou est votre chatte?-and you know the Chat in this case is the female part ;-), and she was just staring at me ;-))

We chatted in this kind of things until 2.30am in the morning, the sky got brighter again. Me and Fox left, we wanted to save energy for the next day, which we were supposed to drink the whole day.

Frank: "Have fun, guys" ;-)

I think Sofia was back after the sun rise, and she snorred ;-), I guess she drank a lot.

That was just the beginning, I fell asleep a bit later after that, I had a flash back to Belgium, thinking of someone, my job..time to sleep, I said to myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home