The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Friday, September 19, 2008

Parents and children

Waking up with the sun beams straight to your face is one of luxury that I have long forgotten. I remember when I was small, my grandfather used to wake me and my sister up very early, even in weekends when we had no school, he said that "girls should not sleep late because we can't harly finish anything if haft of the day is gone, and no husbands want to marry a girl who sleeps late", I don't know whether it is the first or the later reason that I have rarely been able to stay in bed until noon unless I am wasted and very lazy ;-). My grandfather doesn't know today we are allowed to sleep late for any reasons: go out late with friends, too many drinks, watched movies late, talking until late...but at least as an adult, we always have to manage dragging our lazy butts with our eyes haft closed haft opened, bumping our heads somewhere because it's still dark to prepare for work.

Not long ago I watched a movie with John Travolta (forget the name as usual), and it was about how babies think about the people they see, the surrounding when they are first born, and not able to talk. The open line was something like being in your mom's belly is the experience that we can't never undo, and your mom's belly is the only place you try to get out once but unable to get in for the rest of our lives. Recently when I visited one of my best friends in the hospital, I have been told about all the anecdotes about pregnancy (yeah, women like to talk about all things!), from how future father already decides to spend his life on hating his unknown and future 0 age's son in law ;-), from hearing the heart beats of unborn baby, very fast and constant, almost like a sound of a horse galloping through a field, to a terrible howling sound of other women in the delivering room (yeah, this last one makes me doubt whether I ever want to be pregnant).

Anyway, I won't continue talking about baby because it is still an unknown universe to me, big responsibilities and challenges ;-). A few months ago, when my mom talked about how much she was proud with me and my sister (okey, not like we have elected into big positions or won awards or else), it was more like how we have become as a human beings, I asked my mom if she ever had regrets of being pregnant with us at an age that she could have discovered other things instead of being stuck with us. She told me she had always been happy, and never regretted anything in her life. Wow, I guess that a mom's love, no love can compare to that. In VN, we have a saying, something like tears always drop downwards, just to explain that moms always give and sacrify everything to their children but children can't never give that much of a love back.

I guess I have been lucky to be born in an exceptional family. There are too much love, understanding and support from everybody, and the notion of what right and wrong is well-defined. If I was to be born again in the next life, I would really liked to be my mom's daughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home