The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Friendship

I have recently acquainted a new friend. You might have frown and thought 'so what?". I would have done so in the past. The truth is when I first arrived in Belgium and experienced the culture shock, new country, not speaking the language, dark and cold weather, you go home, you stay in instead of calling friends, meeting up to eat street foods...etc. I missed my friends in VN so much, I could still see the days I ran home from school and found a letter in the mailbox, I just closed the entrance, read the letter and re-read and re-read with my tears and wrote a reply immediately. I was lucky enough to find good friends in school here (with whom I still remain friends with and hard to imagine now what would it be to not know them in my life). I remember the night out, the cooking dinner, the getting drunk and hugging the toilet ;-), the being asked for a price ;-).

Anyway, I have always had this excitement whenever I meet a new person with whom I immediately feel so close with. You know, that feeling of connection as if you know that you will get along and be friends forever. I have to say that I have lost feeling a bit over the years. I become much more cautious when I meet someone new, especially when that person appears to be too 'good' or have too many similarities with me. Maybe it is because I am getting older? For whatever the reason is, I do not like this side of my older version :-).

To make the story short, I met this nice Vietnamese girl and although I really like her, I have this feeling like there is something insincere about her, so am unsure to be friend with her. When I want to become friends with someone, I really am a friend, I don't like being diplomatic, a friend is a friend for everything, not only for going out...Again, am I getting old? BTW, did I mention she is a fashion designer? :-) did I mention she quit her job as IT consultant, studied fashion and graduated when she was 32 years? Absolutely, my type of girls :-) and she is Vietnamese, that is like icing on a cake ;-).

In VN, when a male person that is a big older, you usually address that person as " brother XXX" or "Uncle XXX" ...etc but some Vietnamese males here do not like that, they want to be called " brother XXX" when they are 30 years older than I am. Of course, it does not matter the way you address the person since it is rather up to them to decide how much respect they want to have. I usually look at these them as potential 'guys who divorce their Vnese wives for younger Vnese women". Again, am I judgmental?

*** to be continued***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home