The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Monday, February 06, 2012

Dreams

It snowed since the last time but it is still cold. I have for the first time seen people walking on the lake near my place. When I took a walk early in the morning during weekend, it is really enjoyable, the streets were so quiet that you could hear the cracking noise of the ice. Everything is white, too white that blind my eyes. I missed the colour of the winter season.

I thought I should put this strange dream that I had yesterday night before everything became blurred in my mind. In my dream, I sat in the theater while a little girl was singing, I was the person who wrote the play! I remembered telling myself when I was haft awake that maybe that is what I should be, a screen writer, I even thought that if I was going to do that, I would be writer scripts that promote stories of culture clashes or something that give more insights of my culture... It must have been that program on Chinese children who was pushed so hard in gymnastic to win medals at the Olympic that is the result of this dream. When I actually put more thoughts into that now, I think this is a dream that I can definitely make true. I mean I love movies and I love conversations in movies, I love locations, stories...etc, so absolutely a project/plan that I will need to start looking into...So, I guess if I quit job, that is what I want to do next.

I have to admit that my dream is a bit blurred now, and it is less concrete than it is when I was in the dream. I should have just waken up and jotted the idea down before I dozed off again. That's what writers do I think. They might have spent plenty of time thinking, dreaming, the percentage of the writing should not constitute a small part of the job, no? Hmm, maybe research as well but really what a nice job, I wouldn't mind getting paid just to dream and to think :-).

Anyway, let's talk food now! Exciting, isn't it? I have not talked about this for a while now. One big reason is that since my mom arrives and lives in Belgium now, I don't have to much cooking (or any other house chores for that matter). I miss cooking though but it is just that mom and I can't be in the same kitchen or at least either she cooks or I do :-). However, I have recently figured a better solution to this. Mom cooks really good Vietnamese foods, some of the stuffs she makes are not the usual dishes that you can find in home cooking. So, I don't cook Vietnamese now. I do ask mom for tips when it comes to cooking methods in making amazingly good Vietnamese dishes. Mom's Pho is by far the best I can find here in Belgium, no kidding, it's not because she is mom. I cook other stuffs :-). To be honest, it is more exciting to discover new ingredients whether it is fresh veggies or new spices...The other day, I discovered a root, it tastes like artichoke but looks like potato. Absolutely gorgeous! The guy at the market told me it is called Jerusalem artichoke, cool name for a veg.

I bought a Jamie Oliver's cookbook (for the record, I did not buy it because he was kinda cute :-). Yeah, I have not had one and the title says "Jamie's Italy". When I open it, it contains stories of his trip, his encounters with local people, each recipe has a story. That is what I like about it. I did not regret buying it. Italian is one of my favorite cuisine. It varies much and one thing Jamie is right is that Italians from each region are proud of the local/regional dishes, each family is proud of a dish marking that region and they always think theirs are the best. Another thing that I also agree that because Italians are very much family oriented, so eating always is a feast. C'mon, watch the Godfather (one of my most favourite movies), even at time of crisis, eating is with family. When my uncle still marries, his ex-wife uses to cook and I remember every time she makes Pasta, it was both I and my uncle who ate the most. Other than what I love watching Saturday kitchen on BBC on Saturday, a lot of dishes I recently cooked for my friends come from this program. I surely will cook a lot more this year though.

Other than the normal cooking, I have decided to give baking a try and have started to do a bit of baking. It is no big deal for a lot of the gals here,  but baking is just not my thing. To be fair, I have not actually put my head into it. First of all, I don't like cakes, cookies...etc. Yeah, what can I say I am not into sweets, I am more into the hot and spices :-)...well, don't let your mind wonder, I was talking about making pizza!. Second of all, when I cook, I like to invent, I never follow a recipe in details, and I think with baking, you almost can't do this as the measurement is important. Having said that, I can say that in Vietnam we have a complete different repository when it comes to desserts. I love desserts where there are beans and coconut, cansava cake, buns, sweet sticky rice balls...etc. I can at least make those very good. To me, it must have been the lack of ingredients which is the main reason of why we, Vietnamese do not bake a lot. We do not have wheat flours or at least those we have are not as good, even butter is imported as long as I remember. Maybe nowadays you can find those in VN given the number of foreigners who settle there but in the past, these things cost and you can't find good ones. I can say that I can make really good blueberries muffins, at least a lot of people love them and I can agree that they do taste delicious.

My next challenge is really to make the crust of  pizza successfully, have been trying but they are not to the level that I would like them to be. Maybe I should buy a wood oven or something...

Yeah, you might have noticed, I have been able to bring back peace to my mind. I have been sleeping (very good) and have been able to figure out a lot of things. I booked my short holidays (finally), going a week to Florence,Tuscany (yep, all the inspiration of foods). I have not been there but always want to go for the arts and the people, the foods, the landscape...I also plan a long haul this year to Myanmar in Oct. I am pretty excited!

Stay tuned!













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home