The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Monday, August 08, 2005

Midnight at the Dragon Cafe

"Midnight at the Dragon Cafe" is an interesting book. So far, I think if once I decide to write a book, I think my book will probably start in that style. A lot of childhood memories, new experiences in the a foreign country, family oriented, love...Many subjects I would love to write about. I think I also like it because many of the stories the author was telling, I knew, it is similar to what I heard from my mom or grandmom or a group of women in VN talks about everytime they gather in groups. The book is easy to read, and the language is warm, subtle...In short, like it, happy to have it :-)

A friend of mine asked me why I do not like the famous Ho Chi Minh or we, Vietnamese call him "Uncle Ho". I actually have so many reasons to not like the guy apart from that he was not a good leader which was my answer to my friend. He was once my hero though. Unfortunately, when you believe someone is ideal , then suddenly many truth unveiled, you are left disappointed, upset because you have been lied to for such a long time. When you do politics, there are many things that will probably lead you to make decisions that you do not want to make, however, that doesn't mean he or she should pretend to be like a saint. When I read "Becoming Madame Mao", I saw how normal and rotten Mao party was, including the horrible woman who was called Mme Mao. Yet, they are not much different from our GREAT leader. Was he someone who sacrified his life (no wife, no children) for what he believe? Far from that, slept with many women and killed them afterwards, had chidren who are now active in the party. Was he a good poet like we had many great saying and poems we learnt? well, don't ask me this because you might be disappointed from the answer. Was he the one who initiated the revolution against the French? Killed the right man, and took the victory. History is not reliable unless you live it, otherwise do not think that everything is right. It's like many people ask why many Vietnamese leave their country? Nobody wants to be elsewhere than where they were born and grown up. So what do you think? Things are not just as simple as that. Nothing to do with searching for a richer land, better life I can assure you that.

There was a guy asked me if I was from Cochinchine (French name for VN during French occupation of VN-we were one of their colonies), that pissed me off. I told him I was not from that country, I didn't know which country he was talking about. Stupid French guy with his stupid capitalized attitude!

Enough with the peep talk. I am preparing a steam fish for dinner (mmmmm), oops my stomach is calling :-))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home