The Tao of Thao

The joy of living with no regrets

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Mekong Delta

Well, it is the biggest rice production of VN, and is wrapped in by the Mekong river. Besides rice, the Delta also gives plenty sort of fruits, especially coconut.

We started our trip in Pham Ngu Lao, De Tham (backpackers' area), about 3h drive to Cai Be, first province of the Delta. We saw a small floating market there, visited the place where they make candies from coconut milk (Cai be owns about 25% coconut of 45% of the Delta). Everything is used, nothing is thrown away from Coconut, sounds so familiar (it likes when you eats snakes, there is nothing you do not eat from skin to bones ;-)). I bought plenty of chopsticks made from Coconut wood, quite pretty.

After Cai be, we headed to Vinh Long province to see the fruit market, nothing special, then took the ferry to Can Tho (the capital of Mekong Delta). After showering, me and Thao went for a walk in Ben Ninh Kieu, took a couple of pictures of the kids celebrating the Moon festival with their laterns ;-), then had dinner. A "fishy" dinner hehehe, well everything is with fish from the river, although in this season, we should try to rats that live in the rice field, eat only rice (God knows!!! but apparently the skin is yellowish, but hey how the hell do we know if everything is cooked?), so no rats ;-). We met a drunk German, whom I really wanted to kick ass for he just sat in his chair, drank a lot of beer, and asked a small Vnese boy to buy cigarrette for him GRRRR. We finished dinner, then went to a bar that serves German brown beer (very fashionable here, a bit cheaper than in Saigon), and waited for Thao's friends. We met two Malaysian guys. Calvin is the most funniest Asian guy (well after Fox) that I have ever met, he is just hilarious!!!

Of course, after a couple of beer, there is serious talk about VN and all. I prefer to talk about it in a separate post when I get back to Brussels.

A small word on Can Tho, I think it is not different from Saigon, big city, but less cars, less motorbikes, less people, but VERY boring, there is not much entertainment here. I don't like it. Leaving tomorrow early to Kuala Lumpur, I guess I will be in Brussels on Saturday, so will be on time to do climbing (hopefully) with the guys acc to Manuel.

Tonite, hanging out with Thao (forgot, one of my best friend also named Thao) and my univerisity friends, we will probably do karaoke ;-).

Personal note, I am a bit sad that my friend's cat is dying....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home